Kip Garre Dies in Split Mountain Avalanche

It is with great regret that I report that ski mountaineer and Tahoe resident Kip Garre, and his girlfriend Allison Kreutzen, were recently killed on Spit Mountain in the Eastern Sierra outside of Bishop, CA. Reports indicate that the pair were caught in an avalanche and took a long fall in the Split Couloir. The pair were reportedly missing for two days before they were found by SAR and members of the Eastside community today.  I met Kip both here in the Tetons and on the IceAxe trip to Antarctica last year. I also met and skied with Allison on one of my trips to the Sierra’s last year. Both were great people and fantastic skiers. Kip recently seemed to be emerging as the next big thing in the world of ski mountaineering and he will be greatly missed by many.  My deepest condolences go out to Kip and Alison’s ‘s family and friends.

Split Coulior on Split Mountain in the Eastern Sierra.
Photo courtesy Sierra Ski Journal.

First skied by Glen Plake and Darren Johnson in 1990, the 2000′ Split Couloir was recently noted as one of the 50 Classic Ski Descents of North America. It is a steep, shaft-like couloir and is guarded at it’s base by a two icy cruxes that are typically rappelled or downclimbed on descent.

24 Responses to “Kip Garre Dies in Split Mountain Avalanche”

1. 1 Joann & Jim Stevens Apr 28th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Tammy & family: Our deepest sympathy to all of you on this tragic event. Kip and Alison were doing what they loved most. Our thoughts are with you. Love Jim & Joann

2. 2 laura spain Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

super sad and horrible news today…….some great folks taken way too early.
    my warmest thoughts are being sent to everyone who knew them both, allison…you will be missed by many. You were amazing at what you did, girl.
    xoxoxox
    peace

3. 3 eric Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

wow. i was just cruising by your site expecting to read about dynafit binding updates or new carbon fiber boots….and to learn that a 2nd friend has died in 10 days was a shock. to learn it was kip, who was as competent as he was kind and enthusiastic is a further blow to the gut.

what a loss to the skiing community. kip rep’ed the sport really well and will surely be missed.

4. 4 Murphy Apr 28th, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I don’t know what to say I skied with Kip in Squaw and he was my guide at Point’s North he was the real deal!!!! My thoughts go to the family’s he would not want us to stop charging.

5. 5 Carrie Kaiser Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I met Kip and Allison last week in Cordova at Points North Heli adventures and skiied with Allison and was touched by the huge amount of love that she had for Kip. She was with her soul-mate and was proud to acknowledge it. The two were in their true element in every way. Sincerely, Carrie Kaiser of Boulder

6. 6 Stefan Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Unbelievable, un-f-ing-believeable! This is so so sad! I skied with Allison and Kip last week in Alaska. They are such great people and Kip is such a great mountaineer (what awesome stories from his travels in Antarctica!).

My warmest thoughts and condolences to their families. A terrible loss for the community :-( (( May they forever enjoy blissful powder!

7. 7 Scott Apr 29th, 2011 at 12:52 am

RIP Kip & Allison. What a great loss in our world. May they find eternal happiness in their next world. So sad ….

8. 8 ptor Apr 29th, 2011 at 2:05 am

Bummer for us! Another true blue mountain spirit that left a spark in all of hearts now dispersed across the universe. Thanks for the great runs in Kashmir together buddy!

9. 9 bill barker Apr 29th, 2011 at 4:02 am

Kip. It has been an honour to work, ski, party and laugh with you. A big hole has been left by your passing.
    Big cheers for all the good times brother.
    Bill

10. 10 Pete Woodward Apr 29th, 2011 at 6:46 am

WOW – speechless. My heart and best wishes goes out to both families – know Kipper from NH, Holderness and time when I lived in Squaw – good times. My best

11. 11 Sandy and Don Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:02 am

We are devastated at this loss to our family. To hear the respect and admiration and love all of their friends had for Kip and Allison is a balm to our grief. God bless them both with new adventures….together. Our deepest sympathy to everyone touched by this tragedy. Aunt Sandy and Uncle Don

12. 12 rob wolf Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:16 am

all love from the Wolfpak to Kip and Allison’s family and all who knew them. I spoke with Erv and many other Holderness friends that all knew and skied with Kip. He will be missed!! We’ll make turns for you Kipper!!

13. 13 William Keiser '01 Apr 29th, 2011 at 9:18 am

Kip, you will be missed. RIP. Though I didnt know your girlfriend my prayers are with both your families.

Warm Regards,

William Keiser
    Holderness ’01

14. 14 Dick and Gail Stevens Apr 29th, 2011 at 9:33 am

Our warmest condolences to both families. Kip was part of our family while here at Holderness. We will miss him.

15. 15 joseph.szasz Apr 29th, 2011 at 9:49 am

this has been a rough season. like a heard someone say. “the mountains give so much, but sometimes they take away” ski powder in heaven guys

16. 16 John Apr 29th, 2011 at 10:57 am

Kip was pure class in every aspect of life, He made everyone around him better no matter if skiing/mountaineering or just hanging out. I just met Allison this winter and she was absolutely Kip’s soul mate. They will be missed. RIP Kipper and Allison.

17. 17 kestrel hanson Apr 29th, 2011 at 11:11 am

Allison, your glitter ghouls are collecting! Your spark lives on in all of us!

18. 18 Nick Apr 29th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Such a terrible shame. RIP.

19. 19 MD May 1st, 2011 at 9:27 pm

This just sucks!

20. 20 Christina Callicott May 4th, 2011 at 11:02 pm

We’re all just devastated here in Western Colorado. Alison was one of the strongest people I’ve ever known, just an amazingly talented athlete in many sports. She also happened to be gorgeous and intelligent; all around one of the brightest stars in the galaxy. We all just adored her, and still do. It’s hard to imagine that she’s really gone. I had never met Kip, but what a shame that this had to happen so soon after she’d met the man she’d been looking for for so long. I’m glad they got some time together at least.

1. 1 Kip Garre passes in avalanche : Poor Mans Heli Pingback on Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:12 pm
  2. 2 Bodies of Kip Garre and Allison Kreutzen Found Near Split Mountain in the High Sierra | Sierra Journal Pingback on Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:26 pm
  3. 3 Chased By The Sun, Skiing Svalbard, Norway | TetonAT.com Pingback on Apr 29th, 2011 at 5:53 am
  4. 4 Backcountry.com: The Goat » Blog Archive » Broken Femur in Avalanche Near Aspen Pingback on May 4th, 2011 at 7:58 am

zahan-skis-into-the-lower-couloir.jpg