Jay Petervary’s No Idle Tour

I just want to give my bro Jay Petervary a little shout out for his NoIdleTour mission that is happening this year. Jay’s goal is to raise awareness for people to stop idling their cars by riding in three epic and huge bike races this summer. And when I say bike races, I’m not taking about some piddlely one-day event like the LATOJA (the longest one-day race in the US), which he won last year.

What Jay plans to do is pretty darn impressive and is inspired by the late Willie Neal, a Jackson youth and talented nordic skier, who promoted no idling and was tragically killed in a roller skiing accident when he was hit by a car in the summer of 2009. Jay will bring attention to the Willie Neal Environmental Awareness Fund by riding in the Iditarod Trail Invitational, The Race Across America and the Great Divide Time Trail, all in one season. That’s over 7,000 miles of bike racing in only three races folks.

Jay has raced in the Iditarod Trail Invitational three times now, and just this year in the first stage of his NoIdleTour, Jay set a new record by continuing on and finishing the 1,000 race to Nome, AK in 17 days and 6 hours. I’d say Jay is off to a good start, but he’s got many more hurdles to go in his quest.

Jay (far right) at the start of the 2011 Iditarod Trail Invitational.

Next up for Jay is the Race Across America (RAAM) where he will ride 250-350 miles per day going from Oceanside, CA to Annapolis, MD. While most racers have a support crew that follows them around in a car, camper, or whatever (no doubt with lots of idling in between), Jay thought this would really detract from his no-idle philosophy. Soooo…to step things up even more, Jay has decided to attempt this race self-supported, which is unprecedented in the history of RAAM.   Good for you Jay!!!

With nothing more than what is on his back and bike, Jay will start the race on June 12/13th, a couple days before the organized event and will follow the official race course. Jay’s movements will be tracked with a SPOT device and he will carry a smartphone to keep all of us fans updated on his progress.

Do it for Willie!

I know Jay really wants to break a record in RAAM (the current record is 8 days, 3 hours and 11 minutes), so I’m sure his decision to do it self-supported was a challenging one. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he still achieves his goal of breaking a race record (even if it’s just the rookie record for finishing), but if he doesn’t, he will at least direct a huge amount of attention to the Willie Neal Environmental Awareness Fund, which is what this NoIdleTour is really all about.

Last on Jay’s epic three-race quest this year is the Great Divide Time Trail, which travels 2,745 miles near the Continental Divide from Banff, Canada to Antelope Wells, New Mexico. While less than half of the race’s entrants actually finish the event, Jay set a solo record for it in 2007 at 15 days, 4 hours. He also completed this event in 2009 on a tandem bike with his wife Tracey. I believe they were the first to ever compete and complete the course on a tandem.

Great Divide 2009…tandem style!

Like some of you, it drives me nuts to see cars sitting idle in front of the grocery store, the post office and everyplace in between, and I respect Jay for continuing Willie Neal’s dream to raise awareness of this activity that wastes over 3.5 million gallons and $12,000,000 worth of gasoline, and puts 40,000 pounds of CO2 into the atmosphere EACH DAY!!! I hope all of you can join me in supporting and following Jay’s cause, and like my friends and I say to each other when we turn off our own cars to reduce the amount of idling we do, “Do it for Willie!”

19 Responses to “Jay Petervary’s No Idle Tour”

1. 1 Tracey May 23rd, 2011 at 6:37 am

Nice write up Steve!

2. 2 Derek May 23rd, 2011 at 7:52 am

Best of luck and if you idle your car your just an idiot, purely from a $ stand point. Not to mention the negative impact on the environment.

3. 3 Matt Hart May 23rd, 2011 at 8:29 am

doods a beast! idling in your car here in SLC is a huge issue. it’s a major part of our inversion smog in winter. slc’s dirty little secret. f’in nasty!
    good luck jay!

4. 4 Derek May 23rd, 2011 at 10:10 am

Great cause. People pull into 7-11 stores and meander around, idling their diesel truck outside for minutes at a time. Silly.

Steve, Since you have two back to back environmental posts, are you going to walk the talk this year and make an attempt to curb your own personal emissions? How about that Clipper Adventurer idling away in the pristine Antarctic waters?

5. 5 randosteve May 23rd, 2011 at 10:21 am

and derek…see comment to other derek.

and i do attempt to curb my emissions when i can. but since the plane to tierra del fuego and the boat to antarctica are going with me on them or not, if i get the opportunity to be on them…i’m sure as hell going to go. if that doesn’t meet your standards…then so be it.

6. 6 Scott May 23rd, 2011 at 10:42 am

So noone can advocate for reduced energy usage unless they already use ZERO?

@Derek, I’m sure by your own standards, you fail.

7. 7 Derek May 23rd, 2011 at 11:00 am

Scott,

I’m not blogging about environmentalism, I’m only responding to it.

Advocating reduced energy means much more when you practice what you preach, otherwise you just sound like another politician. Like someone said about carbon credits, “It’s like taking a shit in your neighbors yard, and telling them you’ll clean it up later”.

All fluff, no substance.

8. 8 Wyatt E. May 23rd, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Uhh, I’m pretty sure idling your car is NOTHING LIKE dropping a steaming pile of shit in your neighbors yard. That is a terrible analogy.

But you should try both and report back to the blogosphere on the results.

Walk the walk bro, give your neighbor some substance!

9. 9 gringo May 23rd, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Derek needs the following:

1. To get laid.

thanks.

Gringo

10. 10 Scott May 23rd, 2011 at 1:59 pm

@Derek,

Perhaps I’m missing context. I see where you are coming from, but I don’t see calling Steve out to be reasonable. From what I know, he isn’t a major energy user compared to many people I know. Who decides what level of usage is appropriate? He traveled to Antartica, but everyone reading this has a computer (lots of energy to manufacture, transport, and run). Just that alone will put you above the median energy user on the planet.

I’d think that advocating cutting out absolute, blatent waste such as car idling should be non-controversial.

11. 11 Omr May 23rd, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Steve goes on great trips, shares his great photos and write-ups, and uses his mojo to advertise a great, albeit “why do we need to be told”, cause, then gets slammed by Derek.

Derek is an unknown, shares nothing of BC interest, and basically has no voice beyond the whiner-blog world (if I’m wrong, prove it).

It’s a no brainer which voice I’m listening to.

12. 12 randosteve May 23rd, 2011 at 4:47 pm

derek man…one doesn’t have to be the mother theresa of the environmental movement to promote smart, easy environmental practices.

13. 13 j freeze May 23rd, 2011 at 7:52 pm

If Jay was truly committed, he’d trap his ozone depleting farts while riding in a plasic bag, and then cook his meals using the flatulents as fuel. This is clearly the only way to truly capture the environmental movement.

14. 14 ptor May 23rd, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Huge kudos to Jay and a great idea to reduce idling but… I’d rather see someone campaigning to eliminate Wall Street and the global money mafia that are the reason we’re stuck still using cars and internal combustion engines. Everything else is just band-aid solutions.

15. 15 gringo May 24th, 2011 at 2:07 am

by the way, Jay. Crazy , ambitious effort. nice cause as well.
    good luck.

16. 16 Notasradasyou May 24th, 2011 at 8:33 am

Great discussion and a real beneficial use of my time today. This one is going in tighter circles than usual. JFC

17. 17 JayP May 24th, 2011 at 12:37 pm

thanks Steve-O for posting! more people need to be aware of the unneccessary idling they are doing, in there lives and there vehicles.
    one practice usually leads to the next…

18. 18 Mom P. Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:16 am

Great article Jay:) You are doing a wonderful thing and giving people alot to think about before we totally destroy our environment!! Proud of you! Love, Mom xxoo

1. 1 Seriously, dude? A BAZILLION miles of biking in a summer? | brody leven Pingback on May 30th, 2011 at 8:22 am

here-they-are-in-the-bottom-of-the-stettner-couloir.jpg