JHMR 2011/12 Season Pass Prices Announced

With a 25% reduction in the All Mountain Pass (Grand Pass) last season, it’s surprising that Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is able to reduce their price by another 5% ($1,195) for the upcoming 2011/12 ski season. Not only will the overall pass price go down, but the number of skier days will increase to 135 with a 2011/12 winter season currently scheduled to go from November 26th – April 8th.

JHMR president, Jerry Blann announces the 2011/12 season pass pricing.

With hugely successful season pass sales last year; JHMR sold over 100% more passes than for the winter of 09/10.  Granted, a lot of these passes were the uber-affordable Junior and Student Passes that went along with each Grand Pass purchase, but still, skiing JHMR seems to be getting more affordable and in line with other resorts across the west, and about a third less expensive than it was just a few years ago. Here are some other factual tidbits about the JHMR season passes sold last year.

♦ There was a 7% increase in total number of passes sold in 2010/11, than in 2009/10.
♦ 67% of all passes sold were Grand Passes, vs. 40% in 2009/10.
♦ 30% of the total number of visitors last year were pass holders.
♦ 2010/11 pass-holders averaged 40 ski-days, with 141 skiing over 100 days.
♦ There was 5% increase in destination visitorship in 2010/11.

In addition to the longer season, JHMR is moving the old East Ridge chairlift to a location just north of Thunder. It will connect South Pass to the Bridger Restaurant and allow for easy downloading from the upper mountain during early and late season snow conditions. Rumor has it the newly dubbed Marmot Chair’s route up the mountain was altered during its construction in order to protect a “plus” white bark pine tree. “Plus” trees are high value trees that are resistant to disease and essential to the existence of the species.

Tim Mason shows the location of the pastries Marmot Chair.

Other improvements include 20 acres of increased snowmaking in the upper Easy Does It area on Casper, as well as on Saint Johns and Buck runs off of the Après Vous chairlift. The Kids Ranch also gets a $1 million dollar investment that is said to improve flow in the now booming segment of JHMR Ski School sales business. Not surprising considering the number of little dudes my friends seem to be producing.

I heard some chatter about zip lines, tree-canopy rides, increased mountain biking trails and via ferratas possibly in the future for JHMR, but I’m sure these additions have a long road ahead of them through the permit and approval process before anything could be constructed. Hard to say if any of these things will be pursued, but a tree canopy ride from the top of the Bridger Gondola to the base area sure sounds like fun!

With decreased pass prices, improved upper mountains access, an extended season, and a big jolt to it’s day care facilities, it seems like JHMR is doing all the right things for locals and visitors to Jackson, in what I’m sure is a very competitive destination ski resort market. Passes go on sale in August, check them out here.

39 Responses to “JHMR 2011/12 Season Pass Prices Announced”

1. 1 D Jul 20th, 2011 at 8:09 am

They have done a great job screwing the people who buy the 10 day passes. There is nothing for people who live in Wyoming but not in JH it self, people who ski 10 to 15 days, year after year, after year. I’ve had a 10 day for 11 years and they raised it every single year. 10 Days at JHMR = 7 mtn pass in Colorado or 2 mtn pass in Utah, I don’t know if that competitive??? They have pretty much priced out anyone who cant ski 20 days a year, or who’s not coming in on jet for a family ski trip.

2. 2 Smokey Jul 20th, 2011 at 8:44 am

3. 3 Fresh Tracks Jul 20th, 2011 at 10:50 am

“Only 141 passess skied 100+ days? A good sign that the true ski bum is getting squeezed out of Jackson?”

No, only that the ‘true ski bum’ (or, more accurately, ‘smarter ski bum’ now spends more time skiing the Pass or the park then showing up at the resort when there’s nothing but hardpack, crowds and shredded sidecountry.

It’s a shame that it took the recession to force them to realize that the ceiling on pass prices wasn’t completely unlimited.

4. 4 randosteve Jul 20th, 2011 at 1:26 pm

i’m not sure i would call it “screwing” the people who buy 10-day passes, but more incentivising them to buy full, all mountain passes. you can’t pro-rate a 10-day pass at the same price that the grand pass goes for…that’s just bad business sense.

and regarding the 100+ ski days. i think last season had the most number of folk skiing 100+ days on record. plenty of folks in JH ski 100+ days (i don’t keep track, myself), but most of them probably don’t ski at the resort.

5. 5 D Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I will stick with screwing…. it has gone up in price every year for the for the last 10 years( While everything else went down) . It make no sense for people who work M-F 9-5 that live in Wyoming/Idaho, but not in JH to buy a season pass. Tell me which of those passes appeal to Wyoming residents that have to drive and hour or two, get rooms, etc? The answer is none. To add insult to injury they also took away the JH SKI and Snowboard club membership for 10 days as well which helped offset rooms/food etc. I would love to buy the season pass and make it worth my money just not possible.

6. 6 gmon Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I tend to agree with D. As a now resident of southeastern wyo, i would love to come up and ski one, two, three maybe 10 days at the village a year, but the prices are too prohibitive. No discounts, no nothing. Even colorado resorts offer three or fourpack type discounts. anyway, i wish i lived anywhere near there, the season pass is the best deal in the country.

I do believe the ski bum is a retired enigma. Not so sure they still exist as that term was defined 10, 15 or 25 years ago. No question in my mind that the average for pass holders in say, 1990 at the village was more than 40 days. And the reality is that in those days, if you had open gate access all the time, those numbers would have been higher. If the “smart” ski bum today would rather ski with the crowds and fight parking on teton pass over walking out a gate at 10,500 feet and skiing unlimited big mountain terrain with access to teton park, I am afraid to think what the stupid ski bum of yesteryear would have done – perhaps ski all day and drink a pbr dark at the pub while figuring out how to obtain free 2$ tram tix.

7. 7 Chuck Jul 20th, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Skiing isn’t a poor man’s sport. The prices seem reasonable given the industry standards, especially the Grand Pass. The resort isn’t a non-profit.

By comparison, taking a round-trip flight between Jackson & LA on the 31st of this month costs $670, which is about the same as a 10-day pass when you add refreshments. 10 days on the mountain beats 10 hours on a plane.

8. 8 randosteve Jul 20th, 2011 at 6:43 pm

9. 9 Jeff Jul 21st, 2011 at 12:28 am

I found buying a kids ticket for $20 on pow days worked great. It worked even better when I sold it for ten bucks after it got tracked out.

10. 10 gringo Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:25 am

unbelievable that there skiers who put in more than 100 days of lift service considering the goods to be had elsewhere in the valley.

11. 11 randosteve Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:51 am

and on that note…i wonder how many people skied the grand teton this season? 50…100?

12. 12 aj Jul 21st, 2011 at 8:00 am

i wanna ski jhole for the price of summit county…while you’re at it, give me a porsche for a pinto

13. 13 D Jul 21st, 2011 at 8:24 am

I can somewhat control my fuel cost by driving a car that is fuel efficient. No doubt that fuel is a screw job as well. I will stick by my statement they have priced out people who ski 8-15 days, which are the Wyoming Idaho residents that live within a short drive. It’s definitely not a non-profit, but they should find ways to appeal to people who live in this state, but outside the valley. Just remember who’s tax money they were begging for when they had to rebuild the Tram?

14. 14 Ryan Jul 21st, 2011 at 11:22 am

D
    I’m sure Wyoming will benefit from putting tax dollars towards the Tram. Increased user days, lodging, food, etc. It’s stimulous, not a hand-out. The state gets something in return.

As for the 2 hour drive to the hill, that’s normal or close to it in the PNW. I personally don’t have a season pass anywhere but if I did it would be at Crystal Mountain which is a 2 hour drive away. The closest resorts here to the Seattle area are still an hour drive.

I do agree with you though about the 10 day thing. It seems it would be slightly more inline with other options but as Steve pointed out, they’re going to incentivise you to go bigger.

15. 15 Chuck Jul 21st, 2011 at 9:37 pm

They got a loan from the old JSB&T to build the new tram. The original tram was funded by the Gov.

See Here:

16. 16 NCRob Jul 22nd, 2011 at 4:28 am

I agree with Rando that this is an incentive to go for the Grand Pass. As someone who lives outside WY and planned to buy a 15d, I may now go for the Grand, plan additional trips even if I don’t ski the Village everyday. My buds and me traveling out is the key to keeping JHMR, the town and businesses going (including employing the “ski bums”). When I was going out there in the mid 80′s jamming a crowd into a small room for weeks, I thought The Man was pricing me out, but as a mid 40s business owner, I need people and business. Plus, I don’t think it’s a fair to compare CO and UT passes to JHMR. Yes they’re lower, but I’d bet if you look at the actual numbers, they sell, and make, much more $$ because JHMR doesn’t have a Denver or SLC next door. Just some thoughts….

17. 17 D Jul 22nd, 2011 at 8:30 am

I didn’t say they got the Tax money I said they asked for it. The state smartly said no! Even after JHMR postured to not replace it, the state laughs called there bluff and walked away. With the National Parks up there, the tram is not the major draw to this corner of the state. The tram may improve the JH economy, but it doesn’t have much of an impact on the rest of the state. The proof JH is one of the only ski towns that has farrrrr cheaper flights, room, etc, during the winter VS the summer. I am not saying that JHMR owes anyone anything, or that the grand pass is not a better deal then it was in the past. I am simply saying they continue to screw the 10 day pass holders. It’s an opinion based on a decade of buying that pass, and I will stick by it. They have the right to do what they want, I just won’t buy one. Like any Mtn there are plenty of ways around the high pass prices by being creative. Time to get creative!!!

18. 18 murph Jul 22nd, 2011 at 9:30 am

save $60 or send a message? boycott the aug. 4th sale of the 10 day pass even if you plan on purchasing at a later date.the resort counts on that early infusion.maybe the collective can make an impact here.

19. 19 D Jul 22nd, 2011 at 11:18 am

Murph I think they will just learn that they made 60 extra dollars on everyone and should stop offering the August discount unfortunately. They are the ones touting all this research they did… they know who is taking it in the………!

20. 20 mike fischer Jul 23rd, 2011 at 6:01 am

I,being and old school ski bum, loved the fact that all my old ski bum buddies were on the tram dock this winter, thanks to being unemployed carpenters.We were there offsetting the recent glut of so called ski bums who always have a full pass,latest gear and a house in Wilson and no visible means of support.I for one am a huge fan of JHMR.they keep throwing dollars at this awesome resort and we get to play there and ride a 35 million dollar tram for reasonable cost,thanks Connie and Jay

21. 21 Johann Jul 23rd, 2011 at 9:50 am

@ randosteve “i’d rather complain about gas prices than how much it costs to ski at JHMR on a 10/15 day or weekend pass.”

High gas prices are ultimately “good for the environment”. You should embrace high gas prices, as it encourages exploration of alternative energy.

22. 22 BNK Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:35 am

Poacheeman’s Pass is a great way to access the goods at JH.

23. 23 D Jul 25th, 2011 at 8:05 am

Mike
    The amount of money or lack there of, makes or breaks a ski bum? I think that the season pass price has improved 10 folds and I wish I could make it work. I am just pointing out the consistent year after year increase in 10 day passes.

24. 24 albino black sheep Jul 26th, 2011 at 9:33 am

to BNK,
    poacheemans pass ? feel free to contact me directly if you like.

25. 25 ty Jul 27th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

i used to get the college 10 day and drive 6 hours, camp at antelope flats in raging blizzards…good times, but unfortunately they have raised the prices on those every year. 1 JHMR full pass=2.06 bridger passes….its nice to be blessed with a not for profit, community based ski area.

26. 26 ty Jul 28th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

although the tram is bad-ass! not to mention the unreal skiing access of GTNP and WY highway 22…you’ve got it made in the shade down there!

27. 27 BNK Jul 29th, 2011 at 9:48 am

ABS, Information about the where and how of poacheemans pass is top secret and given out on a need to know basis only. Do I know you?

28. 28 albino black sheep Jul 30th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

BNK,
    Probably not.

29. 29 Jason Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Nothin’ beats the $400 Squaw Valley pass. Plenty of BC around too…

30. 30 bww Sep 11th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

On a better note they didn’t get the tax money .each skierday is however taxed by the forrestservice.do you really want to live in denver or alcohol go to snowbird and get the tax 14,000.00 pass

31. 31 bwwbww Sep 11th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hey any body see our dog julius running around the block? He. Escaped friday night on aspen dr and we are in Maine onvacation. Golden retriever with red collar might have ended upgame creek thanks benny JoAnn and we mattias

32. 32 randosteve Sep 11th, 2011 at 6:03 pm

will keep an eye out.

aspen drive to game creek…dude gets around.

33. 33 albino black sheep Sep 12th, 2011 at 8:12 am

BNK,
    Thanks for the need to know info on poacheemans pass. I’ll try a google search with keywords: jackson, secret, skiing. Consider including: narcissism, nepotism and ego. See you out there

34. 34 BNK Sep 12th, 2011 at 10:10 am

Flattery will get you nowhere. Insults + 50cents will get you a phone call if you can find a pay phone. Poacheemans pass knowledge can open up the world and beyond. Best of luck on your Google search.

35. 35 albino black sheep Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:06 pm

BNK,
    The world and beyond! that is need to know info.

36. 36 BNK Sep 13th, 2011 at 8:48 am

ABS, Figure it out bud. It ain’t brain surgery it’s just skiing.

37. 37 albino black sheep Sep 13th, 2011 at 1:59 pm

the world and beyond… Does that include uranus?

38. 38 albino black sheep Sep 13th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

BNK, just kidding, no joke. peace

39. 39 bww Sep 14th, 2011 at 4:35 am

Found julius at pound! Someone cut his tags off

reed-works-the-lower-section