Local Sledneck Vids

Well, since skiing couloirs in the Teton sun doesn’t seem to rile much interest, you may find these vids from our very own local sled-necks interesting. The first is from a guy riding around the Idaho/Wyoming border (maybe close to the national park boundary?) and nearly drops big when a cornice breaks under him. The second takes place in Radio Tower Couloir on Togwotee Pass. I remember when I posted this video, and guessed that is was maybe on Togwotee. Seems like it was only a matter of time. Since some folks are trying to close off snowmobiling in certain area of Togwotee, I’m sure this second video will be scrutinized.

31 Responses to “Local Sledneck Vids”

1. 1 mike fischer Feb 10th, 2012 at 6:24 am

Instant karma for both of them.Can you say massive sugar in gas tanks campaign.

2. 2 Laura Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:07 am

We’re going to Vermont next weekend since we haven’t had hardly any snow in NY so far this winter and have been staying sane by watching a lot of your vids. We won’t be doing anything nearly as crazy as this, but motivation none the less; thanks!

3. 3 Peter Romaine Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:09 am

Mike (friend), I sure hope you don’t put any in my sled while I’m getting out in this “land of Many Uses” and enjoying what mother nature created for al of us.

4. 4 D Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:47 am

While I support some closed areas for snowmobiles, people like Mike need to wake up. You need to realize this guy has just as much of a legal right to public land as you. If this is a closed area I could understand the outrage, but there’s a legal/appropriate way to deal with it.

Sugar in the gas tank: another way of saying I’m a coward, too scared to confront these guys so I will act like punk and sabotage something they worked and paid for because I disagree with them. If you did do it, which I am sure you won’t your Karma will come back to you as well. Or is your practice of Buddhism a one way street? Convenient Buddhist I think so.

Public land is as Peter put it, “Land of Multiple Use”. It’s not anymore yours then mine.

5. 5 drew Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:38 am

Great vids Romeo and sure to inspire much discussion. I am for the letter of the law and “multiple use.” My two cents is that everyone, from the ‘biler to the backcountry skier, should be considerate to others in the backcountry. This goes for the “ski cutter” on Taylor as well as snowmobilers who flaunt boundaries.

Why is it, though, that when I am in the backcountry and I hear a snowmobile and see their masked visage, it feels immediately confrontational? Very unlike when you run into a non motorized user and stop for a chat and exchange of info….

6. 6 Fish Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:47 am

I do both(ski and sled) and feel no confrontation when I see skier or biler. I see more skiers setting off slides than sleds also.Some of the above attitudes of the “karma” people out here also are interesting. They are so open minded and diverse until someone does something they don’t like.

7. 7 Skidmark Feb 10th, 2012 at 11:41 am

He nearly made that run, but I can’t believe he tried to stop the sled mid-way. Steve that looks like a great couloir to ski when the tumbling sleds move on.
    Sure looks like Greenland to me.

8. 8 Skidmark Feb 10th, 2012 at 11:45 am

Sorry. Previous comment is in regard to Greenland video from before.

9. 9 BozeTof Feb 10th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

If everyone is following the rules and playing safe, who cares how you decide to go up or downhill. Would you really let your day in the mountains be ruined because you see a snowmobiler out there having a good time? If you can’t have fun in the mountains you deserve a swift kick in the balls. I hear the mall is really fun this time of year…

10. 10 Nick Feb 10th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

‘merica!

11. 11 goferit Feb 10th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Great videos!! The first cornice video looks like the head of Fall Creek. Nice comment string too. Let’s all get along, there is plenty of room for everyone. Hey skiers, grab a ride sometime, i think you’ll like it. Ill give you a tow any time, and if you need help, i’ll be the first in line to assist.
    I subscribe…..don’t poach the powder
    I subscribe…..stay out of wilderness.
    I subscribe …..beer is just as good when sitting next to a snowboarder, skier or biler. Lets all use responsibly and respectfully. There is room in paradise for all of us.
    Adrenaline=good

12. 12 Jim S Feb 11th, 2012 at 7:14 am

I think it’s the sound of them that gets to me. Don’t have a problem with peoples right to do it. It’s fun as hell when I’m on one. But still the hair on my neck goes up when I hear one in the backcountry after hours of quiet. Guess I need to work on my Zen.

13. 13 randosteve Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:02 am

yeah jim…it’s the sound that bugs me too. i figure someday I will probably own one…so i can’t be judgmental.

14. 14 Smokey Feb 11th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

That’s the spirt Steve! It’s only a matter of time before your up at togwotee with your Actic Cat jacket, F-350 and a “Live to Ride” sticker. Hilarious…

A a more serious note…The Salt and Wyoming Ranges are pretty sweet with sled access and relatively under utilized for ski mountaineering.

15. 15 TimAK Feb 11th, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Yeah, I get how sledders should have the right to enjoy their toys, but It’s alot like the smoker vs. non-smoker situation. They just don’t understand how annoying they are if you’re on the other side of the equation. A quiet experience in the backcountry is a big part of what I enjoy most when earning my turns. ‘Bilers can be really noisy and I can usually smell them even from a long way off. Some of the newer machines seem alot quieter, if that trend continued it would go a long way toward winning me over.

16. 16 a Feb 11th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

The worst thing about sleds is that I can’t afford one.

17. 17 randosteve Feb 11th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

well, mr smoke…don’t know if i’d go that far. but i would like to get a sled for approaches to the (and other zones) winds in the winter. i don’t think i would ever be the type that would go out and just ride.

18. 18 brian Feb 11th, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Rights are rights, for sure but I have to admit to enjoying watching that poor guy’s sled explode into pieces during that tumble. Something about that makes me giggle in delight. I’ll try to be more sensitive to his loss. Gotta smart.

19. 19 randosteve Feb 11th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

b…i bet you will see way more sled carnage in your new home. be sure to forward us the best links!!! :)

20. 20 mike fischer Feb 12th, 2012 at 7:08 am

hey;I meant to get a laugh not piss people off,sorry.I as much as anybody believe in the land of many uses.Anyone who plays in snow is all right in my book.we all like to get hit in the face with the white stuff.

21. 21 John Gloor Feb 12th, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Hi Steve. This is my first post here after lurking for a couple of years. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised to hear that you are not opposed to sleds. I have one, and while I never go pleasure riding on it(not that there is anything wrong with that), is sure makes 5-10 miles of snow covered paved roads shorter.

Mike, nice back peddling

22. 22 D Feb 12th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Bondurant is calling for some major sled/ski mountaineering. The Sawtooth are rugged.

23. 23 SB Feb 13th, 2012 at 9:41 am

If you sled, and don’t understand why some don’t like it, watch this:

Its an activity, not a religion. Its OK if people don’t respect it. Oh wait, same goes for religion.

24. 24 Matt Kinney Feb 13th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Lets hear it for 4-stroke and eliminate all 2-stroke and the obnoxious
    “braaaapp” crap from all federal lands (not just Parks) by 2015. The feds should seriously consider requiring all snowmachines manufactured to be 4 stroke by 2015, no exceptions. Modification to mufflers would be criminal, juts like if you mess with your vehicle to run around public areas with no mufflers. If we could do this, It think many, including me would oppose any further areas being placed off limits to snowmachines.

There was a “bubba” mentality that hated 4 strokes on fast recreation boats, but now nearly all boat motors are more quiet, efficient, just as fast and most important, less polluting than the old 2-stokes. That boating industry matured and I cannot understand why the snowamchine industry can’t grow up and quiet down

25. 25 3C Guiding Feb 14th, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Matt did you know that a 2 stroke sled runs just as clean as a 4 stroke? So don’t go off on all this have to be 4 stoke crap your buying into everything that gets jammed in our face about them not being as clean. I don’t know much about skis and boards but have good friends that do it for a living and respect them for it. If you do not like the sound of the sleds there is stuff called wilderness that sled can’t go into. I no for a fact there was not any ski or boarders on the mountain the day of vid 2.

26. 26 John Gloor Feb 14th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

@ 3C Guiding. I am a backcountry skier first, and a sledder second. I have a two stroke Polaris and two 2 stroke KTM dirt bikes, so I am not anti machine or against 2 strokes. However, your claim about 2 strokes being as clean as 4 strokes is just not true. Direct injection could make them almost as clean, but carbuerated or throttle body injected sleds are way dirtier. For some reason, 4 stroke sleds are quieter than their 2 stroke equals. In the dirt bike world, the 2 strokes are way quieter than the 4 strokes.

I do share your frustration of dealing with people getting down on your activity when you are totally legal. I spend a lot of time in wilderness when I don’t want to deal with crowds or noise.

27. 27 adam Feb 15th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

hey mike fisher. before you go out and do something stupid with sugar, i just want to let you know that not all snow machines are noisy smoke makers. ive got a yamaha nytro 4 stroke. you should check it out. its quieter than your barking dog, smells better than your b.o. infused capilene, more fuel efficient than your old subaru with stickers on it, and cost less than the NOLS course you took to learn how to camp. oh yeah, and chicks dig it too, not like your boring ass stories of feigned heroism in the backcountry….sorry dude…..

28. 28 Jed Feb 15th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Well said Adam!

29. 29 Dude! Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:16 am

I grew up on sleds and have had many great days ripping around the Idaho mountains on them, but now I prefer to earn my turns.

It is the land of many uses and we should all be tolerant of each other, but darn they are noisy especially on mauntain tops…you can hear em for miles. I can’t count the number of times some ar$hole has blown by me and my dogs with no thought of slowing down for me or my dogs. I’ve even been almost run over by a high marking idiot who didn’t care I was already skiing down the hill he wanted to high mark. I’m all for tolerance, but a few slednecks are giving em all a bad name.

If I see one in the wilderness it makes my blood boil and you bet if I get a chance I’m going to tell the idiot what I think of him and if given a chance ya I’d sugar his tank. I’m sure Adam and the other slednecks posting on this site have never poached any closed/wilderness or blown by slow ass skiiers at 60 mph.

With a little respect we can all share the majestic backcountry we love to enjoy. Leave the tude at home dudes or ya just might piss the wrong dude off!

30. 30 ken Feb 23rd, 2012 at 1:29 am

almost as awesome as a monster truck rally. maybe if i stood in the couloir (to emulate sports dome acoustics) with my hand on natural boobs? of course with my own POV sports cam so all could understand.
    PS. why not hard rap music?

1. 1 Backcountry.com: The Goat » Blog Archive » A Snowmobile Close Call on a Cornice in Wyoming Pingback on Feb 14th, 2012 at 7:59 am

dustin-lemke-raps-the-stattner-couloir.jpg