Corbet’s Couloir Delivers With 16″ at JHMR

randosteve-skis-corbets-couloir
Randosteve slides into Corbet’s Couloir at JHMR.

After well over four years of not riding a single ski lift to ski (at least for fun), I broke my streak and scored on a nice ski day at JHMR yesterday. The avalanche forecast reported 16” of new snow in the last 24 hours and considering I’ve got jackson-hole-mountain-resort-tramlots of time to ski tour this spring, I took advantage of the opportunity to get on an early tram car up the hill on Wednesday…rubbing shoulders with the likes of Rick Armstrong and Steve Jones. I’m a little embarrassed to admit it (at least from J-Holer standpoint) but this was also my first time riding the new tram. And I’ve gotta say…she sure is a beauty!

What was my first run back at the ‘ville…my stomping grounds for over six years back in the mid to late nineties? You guessed it…Corbet’s Couloir!!!! In a season where the legendary run at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort was only open a handful of days, it would have been stupid NOT to take advantage of being able to carve “early-tracks” and see if I still had what it takes after all these years. The entrance was very manageable and the snow in the couloir itself was extra creamy…so it really was rather easy compared to the old days, when I remember hitting the line no matter how firm it was or whether I was on the clock or not.

zaha-billamoria-skis-tower-three
Zahan skis Tower Three Chute.

It was interesting how I can barely remember my license plate number, but after all these years, the names of all the lines and features at JHMR easily rose to the surface of my clogged up memory banks. Names like Mouse Face and Cheyenne Rock, or Sherwood Forest and Stoned Phone Booth, seem to be engraved in my brain forever.  I’m sure there will be some fun times to had at the final days of the season this weekend, so be sure to “ride the wire” while you still can and score some of the new snow that has fallen and is still yet to come!

Support TetonAT and shop GREEN at Backcountry.com.

Comments

8 Responses to “Corbet’s Couloir Delivers With 16″ at JHMR”

1. 1 Collin T Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Wow, even promoting the resort… I’m amazed.

Is hell frozen over? Anyone see a pig fly?

Is this an April Fool’s Joke? Those pics are old! Nice one Steve!

2. 2 randosteve Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:40 pm

not even collin!! i even have the aches and pains to prove it. funny how we use such different muscles earning our turns. i’m mostly feeling it on the outside of my hammys!!!

don’t worry though…i’m still committed to self-serve in the bc…and you can bet on that!!! don’t get me wrong though…JHMR crushes any resort out there…hand down.

3. 3 Collin T Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:45 am

Amen to that Steve! This season I’ve spent a lot more time in the backcountry than the resort, but we made the trip to Jackson late February and everyone was hurting! If you’re going to ride any resort, that’s the one for sure.

4. 4 Teledave Apr 2nd, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Hey guess what Steve, no one cares if you haven’t skied a resort in four years… just like no one cares that I tele.

5. 5 d-nice Apr 2nd, 2010 at 4:47 pm

nice pictures, i remmember rag-dolling down that thing in hardpack conditions back in 00 after i blew the entrance.

6. 6 gillesleskieur Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:28 am

Tele dave: why do you read if you don’t care?

Steve: do you use any kind of shim in the back of the dynafit to make up for the lack of ski brakes (so that the boot seat on on it) ?

7. 7 randosteve Apr 3rd, 2010 at 9:35 am

gilles…negative. i just roll with them how they are, but i don’t put them through a lot of abuse while skiing at the ski area either…if that matters.

are you asking in relation to skiing…or skinning? wouldn’t a shim effect the release ability??? i think they were designed to be skied with the rear of the boot resting on the pins…NOT wedged between the pins and a shim…right?

if you are asking about skinning…i don’t think it really matters.

8. 8 gillesleskieur Apr 3rd, 2010 at 11:32 pm