Skiing Teewinot’s Southeast Couloir

MAN…I have been having some great days skiing in the Tetons lately! Last week, it was warm spring-like conditions on sunny aspects, and now…powder and wind! It looks like it’s gonna dump huge this week, but I’m glad I got another warm sunny day skiing above the clouds on Teewinot with Kim Havell and John Walker last Monday. We skied the Southeast Couloir on Teewinot, a line i did solo in the spring 8-10 years ago. So it was nice to get back and score it in January, with friends. The day was stellar once we climbed 2-3k’ out of the low clouds that lingered all day, with zero wind. Kind of one of those ski days you remember for a long time.

For more photos from the day ——>

16 Responses to “Skiing Teewinot’s Southeast Couloir”

1. 1 mtsplitski Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:44 am

Awesome! Thanks.

2. 2 Jeff Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:15 am

Looks sweet, good work! Bummed I couldn’t get away…

3. 3 mtnsis Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:38 am

great post randosteve. thanks for all the fun. see you down south soon.

4. 4 randosteve Jan 16th, 2012 at 9:46 am

thanks guys!

…and fun catching up sis. hope you kick the “california cough” soon. i think i’ve finally got the upper hand on it.

time to make the donuts! :)

5. 5 KR Jan 16th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I have come to the conclusion that you Teton boys either:
    a – don’t ever get after it. Sort of like the TGR forums.
    b – get after it but don’t talk about it. Sort of like Fight Club.

I think you are the exception that proves the rule, thanks for posting up some photos and video on a regular basis. Restores my faith!

6. 6 Dax Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Steve, great to see you getting after it (as always) in the so called “No Snow” year!

7. 7 X-Reed Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

So that’s what it looked like above the clouds on Monday– I was stationed on Apres Vous and we finally saw the sun break above us around 4 p.m. Kind of like looking at the surface of a pool from about 10 ft. under! Nice pics and good line!

8. 8 randosteve Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

thanks hombres. i’ve been having a really fun winter so far, even with the lack of snow. you just need to be a bit more creative in your line choice.

9. 9 randosteve Jan 16th, 2012 at 8:52 pm

and btw…i’m shooting some stuff in HD now. so if you want better quality, be sure to bump up the resolution.

just mounted up some of next year’s bd carbon megawatts and reverts. stoked!

10. 10 Brent Jan 17th, 2012 at 11:00 am

Fantastic. Awesome. Thanks for posting. Just one question… what is that white-ish material you are sliding around on? It looks like it has a good coefficient of friction for gaining momentum, and just the right amount of softness for turning and braking, yet I can’t seem to remember what it is exactly. I went out to my local mountains yesterday looking for some of it, and I found uhh, dirt. What am I doing wrong?

11. 11 one man mariachi Jan 17th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Brent…Kurtzman???

12. 12 Brent Jan 17th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Nope, a Brent of no particular importance. I’m not used to that many ‘Brent’ collisions… maybe I should post as Brent C.

13. 13 randosteve Jan 17th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

funny…i’ve been good friends with 2 brents so far. one growing up on east coast, and the other when i moved to jh in 93.

14. 14 Janey B. Smith Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Very fantastic, amazing job! and you made me exited:)

15. 15 Deaner Feb 3rd, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Interesting that Kim’s not on that fancy new Salomon touring binding! Pretty sure she was in a Salomon video touting how amazing it is?

16. 16 randosteve Feb 3rd, 2012 at 1:35 pm

deaner…i thought it was interesting that she wasn’t on dynafits. i think she was wishing she was.

cooling-off-at-leigh-lake.jpg