Mega-fun Sunrise Powder!

I’ve been pretty busy with work and life-planning since coming back from the trade show, but dawn patrols have been paying off big. Today there was a pretty sunrise and the Carbon Megawatts mounted at +2.5cm treated my right. The tips are huge on these things and darn near impossible to bury, so I opted for a more forward mount to make them a bit more turny. These skis beg for some bigger and more open slopes though,and really shine when going full throttle.

Sunrise powder turns on Twin Slides.

Comments

8 Responses to “Mega-fun Sunrise Powder!”

1. 1 ptor Jan 24th, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love ‘em mounted right on the line. but I try to avoid turning and would have probably hit that dead tree just in front of you on that tiny and densely treed slope in the photo ;-)

2. 2 Smokey Jan 24th, 2012 at 10:57 am

I have mine mounted right on the line but kinda wish they were +1 or 2. Steve, besides being a bit more turny, any other observations about the forward mount comparied to your our Meg’s? I still might push them forward a bit…

3. 3 randosteve Jan 24th, 2012 at 11:15 am

smokey…at +2.5 and with a longer tail, they are more fun when jibbing and slashing terrain features. ups your steeze factor too.

4. 4 Slayer Jan 24th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I did a similar mount on a pair of Surface skis (I measured the centerline of the ski and mounted 5cm back). I actually called the owner of Surface and we talked a fair bit about fore / aft mounting preferences before I burrowed holes in my new sticks. It turns out the concept of centerline and where one should place bindings is subject to much more subjective reasoning than I had originally contemplated. Of course if you are a snowboarder, you’ve probably mounted and re-mounted your bindings countless times and you know how much a board can change when you play with fore-aft adjustments.

5. 5 ski tech Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:18 pm

It’s about time the ski industry comes up with a standardized insert pattern like snowboards so that YOU, the end user, can decide where you want the binding to be on any given day. Ski jigs are notoriously sloppy. There are many reasons why screws and glue is a shitty way to mount bindings. Drilling skis is outdated technology IMHO.

6. 6 Wookie1974 Jan 26th, 2012 at 3:12 am

Hey Steve!

This would be a great topic for another post!

I find that all the powder-oriented skis I’ve had the last 5 years or so felt kinda sluggish and…i dunno…weak on-edge. It just feels like I’m too far back, and I can’t get the kind of pressure I’d like on the forward part of the ski. Everything is OK in bottomless blower, but anything else: meh.

I’ve thought about mounting forward of the line, and even discussed it with the shop the last time I bought a set, but they didn’t want to do it, didn’t recommend it, etc. Not surprising, but I (stupidly) listened. I could mount my next set, but I’m a bit hesitant to try it. Dunno how far to go, etc.

A few rough guidelines and your experiences would be great! (All drilling done at my own risk, of course.)

Anybody else’s experiences would be good as well!

7. 7 Wookie1974 Jan 26th, 2012 at 3:13 am

Another thought? Anybody ever mounted duck-foot? Will it even work while touring?

8. 8 doin1 Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hey RS. Looking at the morning picture you have to just pinch yourself. OMG I can’t believe I get to see this.

steve-romeo-skis-the-nugget.jpg