Broken Leg on Glory

After skiing Albright and Wimpys on Friday, I had just gotten home and was trying to stay motivated to attend the “Steep” showing at the Village when the call-out came for a broken leg on the west side of Glory.

Taylor mountain

We used the heli to shuttle rescuers to a safe LZ above the patient on the west slope of Glory, above some steep trees going down into Coal Creek.

The tree

We found the patient on his back, head towards us, and his left leg obviously broken, and wrapped about this tree. We packaged him on a backboard. He was a trooper dealing with the pain…meds only go so far.

Ken lines it up

Negotiating a toboggan though the tight and steep trees would have been very difficult and time consuming, and it was probably already about 6pm. We decided to use a short haul to extricate the patient. The location in the tight trees was definitely a major concern.

Here comes the line

When the heli came in to deliver the littler and haul out the patient, the rotor wash would shake all the snow from the trees…making caring for the patient a little more difficult.

Lift off

Props to Ken for his expert flying skills and our short haul team for helping avoid what could have been a very long night. I was still pretty tired after waking up on Saturday and took the day off.

Comments

6 Responses to “Broken Leg on Glory”

1. 1 Patricio Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:10 am

Randosteve,
    Looks like you guys do excellent work up there. I wish I could get a crew together like that down here for Albany County.
    Have you thought about MRA accreditation? Looks to me like you’re totally ready.

2. 2 randosteve Mar 30th, 2008 at 6:21 am

It’s a thought Patricio…but right now the focus is on getting a full time heli based here in JH. It’s costing us way too much to contract one out every season.

3. 3 Colin Mar 30th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Cool photos. Thanks for the report Steve.

4. 4 Linda Wilkinson Apr 2nd, 2008 at 5:58 pm

The patient you rescued is my son and I just wanted to express my thanks to everyone who was involved in helping him. You guys did a great job and he was very fortunate that everything went so well. If you have any other pics, would you e-mail them to me?

5. 5 randosteve Apr 2nd, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Glad we could help!

6. 6 Debbie & Mike Weber Apr 3rd, 2008 at 3:05 pm

The patient you rescued was our son-in-law. Thank you so much for being such professionals and for making a really tough rescue look routine. Clayton is a wonderful person and will no doubt to go on and make a difference. Our thanks go out to you for risking your lives for him.

skinning-the-ridge.jpg