I feel like my ski quiver is pretty deep right now and I have a ski for just about every condition, time of year and terrain possible. Though I’ve been super happy with the performance of the wood core Black Diamond skis this year, I always wonder why nearly every ski they make has some sort of twin tip design.
Now…I know all the benefits of twin tips involving an easy release from a turn and of course the backwards skiing capabilities, but sometimes when I’m skiing steeper and tighter terrain, I feel like I’d rather sacrifice those benefits to save some weight and have the ability to stick my tails in the snow more easily. When I have my skis on and skiing a steeper line, it’s nice to be able to anchor yourself a bit by shoving your tails in the snow and some transitions can be a bit on the sketchier side…and being able to easily stick your tails in the snow is a must.
I thought about doing this for about a month and finally decided that my 185cm Voodoos would be the one to go under the knife. The Voodoos ski everything well and would be a good choice since my the Kilowatts feel a bit softer and are better for mid winter skiing, and the tails of the 174cm Stigmas are pretty flat already. I also thought about undertaking this mod on my own, but I realized that I would be better off enlisting some help from some professionals…so I gave Mike Paris from Igneous Skis or a call. Since they build custom skis less than 2 miles from my house…who better?
I could see Mike’s mind working when I showed him what I wanted to do, but he quickly figured out a plan and went to work. One of the tricky parts was going to be dealing with the metal edges, so he went ahead and used a dremel tool to make some cuts in them so that the band saw wouldn’t get worked.
One of the biggest reasons I called Mike was to get a nice clean cut and I knew the band saw he had would do the job. It sliced through the skis with precision and did an excellent job. The sound was defining though when it managed to find some residual metal near the edges. After the all important cuts, Mike moved over to the belt sander and rounded off the edge. You could tell he had lots of experience at this as he worked the ski back and forth with fluidity.
I left the shop with only having to do some light sanding and finishing off the tails some how so they wouldn’t fall separate. The sanding was a no brainer, but the epoxying has only been okay. I decide to use some of that stick style epoxy, that you worked together with your fingers and then coat it with some slow hardening liquid style epoxy. The finished job looked and felt good, but sections of the stick epoxy fell off on my first outing. I think I’m going to just use the liquid stuff next time and call it good.
I haven’t noticed too much difference in how the skis actually ski, but I do notice the weight reduction (about 2 ounces per ski) and I should be able to fit through some tighter couloirs now (over 5 cm shorter). Big thanks to Mike for his help!