Teton high-country looking good.
Click photo for huge image!
I don’t know if you’ve been getting out skiing, but I know I have. Although the snow pack is mostly bullet-proof on most aspects (due to recent high altitude rains and high winds) it is also very supportable and has held up well, making for good ski touring with a limited snow pack. This firm layer is nice now (sorta), but it could be rather dangerous once another storm drops a few feet of snow on it, spiking the avalanche danger to high. Hopefully we will get huge snows, so it gets buried and becomes a non-issue.
White-out on Table Mountain.
I scavenged to put some plans together this weekend after a last minute partner bailout, but manged a couple tours. First, TeleKitty and I went for tour up to Table Mountain, and although the forecast was for sunny skies, it was pretty socked in for most of the day and we turned around on the long ridge to the summit. Skinning from and skiing down to about 8300″ on mostly firm snow. It looked like the weather had been pretty fierce up there last week. There were a lot of live trees down and they were all covered with anywhere from 2-6″ of rime ice.
Rime trees on Table Mountain.
Today, I speed-toured up the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort and found good coverage with supportable snow top to bottom. I stopped once at the top to take in the view and noticed how much snow was already in the Teton high-country, and I thought that it could be a good time to do a Teton Pass to Village tour. Anyone interested??
Nice panorama. Looks like east-facing Colorado in mid-season to me! What program did you use to stitch the composite image together?
Thanks Hamish! Photoshop CS.
i was atop glory today, thinking the same thing. when are ya thinking of the tour?
if schedules work, i could be up for it.
Maybe Weds…or Friday…or Sunday???
going on a big tour today-tommorrow. if i make it back alive, i’m into it. almost left today to do it,but i’m gonna do a traverse to teton canyon from death canyon. i’ll be in touch.
Sounds like fun Travo. Weds looks good!
I am interested in touring from the Pass to the Village. Sunday would be best for me, or I may be able to make Friday work. Are there any plans out there?
Currently…Weds is the day…but if that falls through….Friday is my next chance to do it.
How was touring in the factors? That is if you took them on this trip…
So far so good on the Factors Jeff. I’m finding my walk mode mod works well and doesn’t seem to weaken the boots. Also, the walk mode seems to negate the extra weight of a beefy boot. I can’t imagine anyone wanting/needing a stiffer boot…especially for the BC.
Arg! My partner just cut out on the Pass to Vill traverse…thinking there would be a lot of scree and wind packed snow. Well YEAH!!!!! It’s not like I want to break trail through a foot of fresh on the way…and aren’t the west sides of the peaks nearly always scoured??