Maruelli “Natural Walking Plate”

This new product from Maruelli (inventor of the Click-Clack) is due to show at the 2011 ISPO (Feb. 6th) and claims to be the greatest this since sliced bread for maintaining a “natural stride” when skinning. Dubbed the Natural Walking Plate and with the aid of two hinged points, it allows for the toe of the foot to rise as you bring it forward…allowing you to skin with a more walk-like motion and stride.

natural-walking-plate-proto-3boot-xp
Maruelli “Natural Walking Plate”.

-More natural movements with 100% free ankles, so you can really Run or simply just Walk !
-10% longer step with the same loss of energy !
-Zero back pain problems due to an non-natural movements

While I like the way people think and come up with new ideas, I’m not sure I can really get behind this one quite yet. To me, it seems that you might loose a alot of the glide while using this contraption because you are lifting our foot up…instead of pushing it forward. Yeah, the Maruelli “Natural Walking Plate” might allow for a more natural gait, but does it make you faster? I’m not so sure.

Support TetonAT and SWITCH GEARS at Backcountry.com.

19 Responses to “Maruelli “Natural Walking Plate””

1. 1 Cons Sep 22nd, 2010 at 7:53 am

Looks like it’d be good for flat stuff, decent on switchbacks, bad on setting a track on firm steep stuff when you need torsional rigidity to kick in sideways. Also looks like it could clog up with snow. So I’m skeptical for now, unless you’re talking about wonderbread.

2. 2 Ben W Sep 22nd, 2010 at 8:57 am

A solution to a problem that didn’t exist, and one that will cause many new problems.

3. 3 Ted Sep 22nd, 2010 at 9:11 am

Not sure I’d want that under my binding on the way down either.

4. 4 Nick Sep 22nd, 2010 at 10:41 am

“A solution to a problem that didn’t exist…” – Ben W

Couldn’t agree more with that statment. Why fix something that is not broken. The kick glide works great.

5. 5 Dylan Sep 22nd, 2010 at 10:48 am

KISS has always been a favourite gear criterion for me!

6. 6 ErikK Sep 22nd, 2010 at 11:11 am

How would this impact downhill performance? With that lever in the front it really seems like the probability of something catastrophic happening increases substantially. Dynafit bindings are already great for touring. I telemark and I do AT as well, and when I have to do a long tour I always turn to my dynafits. I’ve never had a problem using them. I wonder why there’s a need for something like this.

7. 7 Christian Sep 22nd, 2010 at 12:36 pm

On the video he uses cross country skis. Seems like an ok idea to get non-skiers to get onto the tracks around the hotel – beats snowshoes.

8. 8 josh Sep 22nd, 2010 at 1:37 pm

so you have to pay money for it and drag around the extra weight (lb(s)??) just to have the luxury of chipping the ice and crud out from underneath it?

9. 9 brian Sep 22nd, 2010 at 9:31 pm

That’s funny. Truly a solution to a non-existent problem. At least now I know why my back hurts! Those guys are brilliant. Pah!

10. 10 David Aldous Sep 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Now you have taken away one of the big efficiency gains of the Dynafit binding by adding a plate that you are lifting with every step. You get the fun of fiddling with getting into Dynafit bindings with the extra weight of a plate binding system. Congratulations
    Granted it looks like you only have the plate moving with your boot while you stride forward and not while you are lifting your heel but I can’t see myself rushing out to buy this item.

11. 11 Eric Steig Sep 23rd, 2010 at 7:16 am

Meanwhile, the ‘Maruelli’ click clack was a great idea. But does anyone know where they can be purchased?

12. 12 patb Sep 23rd, 2010 at 5:51 pm

This reminds me of the Naxo bindings I have. They create a more natural stride with three pivot points, which is nice. But adding anything new to dynafit bindings is silly: The main reason for using dynafit is low weight!

13. 13 Kevin Sep 23rd, 2010 at 9:01 pm

It looks like the ski tip would be hard to keep up when breaking trail.

14. 14 Olaf Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Just buy it! it will make you climb Faster, Further, and you will be Fearless! YOU NEED THESE!!!

Turns are good for a bad back

15. 15 stefano Feb 2nd, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Hi Steve,

I’m no more able to see my last reply…

Since many bad post against this new device I’ll be glad that new picture will be added, and also the connection to the new video, where everybody can see how well it works.

As you can immagine at the moment this is a “custom trick”, so i think is not like an AD… Unfortunately I’m not a big company !

Ciao
    Stefano

16. 16 randosteve Feb 3rd, 2011 at 6:20 am

stephano…i just did a site update and think some comments got lost in cyberspace. sorry, but thanks for posting again.

17. 17 stefano Feb 21st, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hi,

New concerning onto my web site + a Biomec report.

Ciao
    Stefano

18. 18 stefano Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:04 am

New video of the Natural Walking Plate in action on hard and Deep Powder at:

More info at:

Ciao
    Stefano

19. 19 Stefano Jun 22nd, 2011 at 9:34 am

New website & videos at:

Tested by one World Champion and many others…

Italy – France – Germany – Austria already has distributors and dealers…

Ciao